Skip to main content

[Yukon] About large value data types

The maximum capacity for Varchar / Varbinary in SQL Server 7 and 2000 are 8,000 bytes. Similarly for nvarchar it is 4,000 bytes. For any content which is more than 8000 bytes we would go for "Text, NText, or Image" data types.

In SQL Server 2005 it has changed greatly with the introduction of the "Max" specifier. The Max specifier allows storage of up to 2^31 bytes of data. For Unicode content it allows storage of up to 2^30 bytes.

When you use the Varchar(Max) or NVarchar(Max) data type, the data is stored as character strings, whereas for Varbinary(Max) it is stored as bytes.

Basic example showing the usage of this new specifier.

Create table PatientDetails
(
PatientNumber int Identity,
FirstName varchar(max),
LastName varchar(max),
Memo varchar(max)
)

In earlier version of SQL Server we cannot use Text, ntext or image data types as variables / parameters in stored procedure or user defined funtions. But that is perfectly valid in Yukon.

Passing character data as parameter to a user defined proceedure and doing string concatenation. This would work perfectly fine in Sql Server 7 and later.

Create proc uspStrConcatenation
(
@strInputValue varchar(10)
)
as
begin
Select 'The string passed as parameter is ' + Rtrim(Ltrim(@strInputValue)) as 'Concatenated Value'
end

exec uspStrConcatenation 'vel'

Passing Text data as parameter to a user defined proceedure.

This would fail in Sql Server 7 and 2000 as Text / ntext / image etc., data types cannot be used as variables in procedures / functions.

Create proc uspTextConcatenation
(
@strInputValue Text)
as
begin
Select 'The string passed as parameter is ' + Rtrim(Ltrim(@strInputValue)) as 'Concatenated Value'
end

In SQL Server 2005 we can now pass any size string as parameter.

Create function fnStrConcatenation
(
@strInputValue varchar(max)
)
returns varchar(max)
as
Begin
return 'The string passed as parameter is ' + Rtrim(Ltrim(@strInputValue))
End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Wedding Anniversary :)

Six years back on the same day I married Sai Lakshmi (12-July-2000). I know Sai for almost 13 years now :) I fell in love with her during my 12th standard. I know @ 17 yrs any person wouldn't be matured enough to make a big decision like this. But thank God my choice was perfect :) Even now, very often we used to think about the past and laugh at our behaviors/actions then. My love story would be really interesting (at least for me and Sai :)) and I am sure none of you guys would be interested in reading about it so lemme not get into it in-depth. But one thing which I want to share is "Without Sai, I wouldn't have entered into the IT field at all". She was instrumental in convincing me to study my Master's degree in Computer Application. That's the move that changed my career. Till my schooling, my dream was to either become a "big" sportsman (Cricket and Badminton were my favorites at that time.) or an Aeronautics engineer. Unfortunately, my l...

What should one look @ while buying a land in chennai?

Offlate people have started thinking about investing their money in lands. I too think that to be a wise decision only! As most of us know buying a land in chennai (for that matter any where in the world) isn't an easy affair. I was just wondering what all one needs to look at before deciding to purchase a land. I thought I would put down what ever I know about this subject here. [Guys pls free to correct me if I my understanding is wrong somewhere. That way, it would help me understand as well as others who might read this in future]. Here we go ... 1. One should not buy farm lands if they want to build a residential house sometime later there. Because to my knowledge its illegal to build residential houses on lands meant for irrigation. 2. Encumberance Certificate -- This is what is shortly refered as "EC". One needs to get an EC from local sub registrar office (i guess we need pay a small amount for this). From this we / our lawyers :) can find out whether the guy who ...

Tips for attracting more comments …

After a long silence I am blogging regularly for almost past 2 months now. Btw, I use “ eXtreme Tracking ” to track the traffic into my blog. When I check the summary of those results I am really happy to know that in the past 231 days I have got 6711 unique visitors . Out of which last month I have attracted 1362 unique visitors and this month (as of today 7 PM) there are 1733 unique visitors. I think this to be a good count. I want to reiterate that out of 231 days I have seriously blogged for couple of months only. Ok with that information, I want to talk about the problem in hand. Only recently I started thinking “dude, you are getting decent amount of readers on a daily basis. But then you aren’t getting much feedback from them. What’s the problem?” Just because I am not getting decent amount of feedbacks does it mean my blog isn’t informative? I really don’t know but I know that, normally people are reluctant to post their views as comments on site for various reasons. In my vie...