Skip to main content

Database Compatibility ...

Database Compatibility

This article would explain a practical way of using the system stored procedure "sp_dbcmptlevel".

Sp_dbcmptlevel :: Set the database compatibility level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By default,
for SQL Server 6.5 the comatibility level is 65,
for SQL Server 7.0 the comatibility level is 70,
for SQL Server 2000 the comatibility level is 80
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


One can check their database compatibility level by executing the sp_dbcmptlevel system stored procedure.

Let me explain the way I made use of this system stored procedure in my previous company. We were having SQL Server 2k in our development environment but for a project our requirement were to use only SQL Server 6.5 (hmm quite old isn't it? when did you last heard about SQL Server 6.5 :) ). Its for sure that we can't purchase 6.5 version for this project alone. At that time sp_dbcmptlevel came to our rescue. We just executed the below query so that our database (get it right, its database level and NOT server level change) compatibility would be set to SQL Server 6.5

-- Replace Pubs with your actual database name
EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'pubs', 65

This way if by mistake you use any keywords which are not in version 6.5 it would throw an error. Once the project is done or anytime during the course of the project you can reset the compatibility level back to 80.

For testing purpose

1. EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'pubs'
This would give you the current compatibilty information for pubs database

2. EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'pubs', 65
This would set the compatibility to SQL Server 6.5 for Pubs database alone.

3. Select top 5* from authors
After executing point 2 if we run the above query it would throw an error because TOP keyword is not available in SQL Server 6.5

4. EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel 'pubs', 80
This would reset the compatibility of pubs database to SQL Server 2000. Now execute the
query mentioned in point 3 to see the top 5 records displayed.

For further reading:

I suggest you have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sp_da-di_5c8c.asp for more details on this topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Wedding Anniversary :)

Six years back on the same day I married Sai Lakshmi (12-July-2000). I know Sai for almost 13 years now :) I fell in love with her during my 12th standard. I know @ 17 yrs any person wouldn't be matured enough to make a big decision like this. But thank God my choice was perfect :) Even now, very often we used to think about the past and laugh at our behaviors/actions then. My love story would be really interesting (at least for me and Sai :)) and I am sure none of you guys would be interested in reading about it so lemme not get into it in-depth. But one thing which I want to share is "Without Sai, I wouldn't have entered into the IT field at all". She was instrumental in convincing me to study my Master's degree in Computer Application. That's the move that changed my career. Till my schooling, my dream was to either become a "big" sportsman (Cricket and Badminton were my favorites at that time.) or an Aeronautics engineer. Unfortunately, my l...

What should one look @ while buying a land in chennai?

Offlate people have started thinking about investing their money in lands. I too think that to be a wise decision only! As most of us know buying a land in chennai (for that matter any where in the world) isn't an easy affair. I was just wondering what all one needs to look at before deciding to purchase a land. I thought I would put down what ever I know about this subject here. [Guys pls free to correct me if I my understanding is wrong somewhere. That way, it would help me understand as well as others who might read this in future]. Here we go ... 1. One should not buy farm lands if they want to build a residential house sometime later there. Because to my knowledge its illegal to build residential houses on lands meant for irrigation. 2. Encumberance Certificate -- This is what is shortly refered as "EC". One needs to get an EC from local sub registrar office (i guess we need pay a small amount for this). From this we / our lawyers :) can find out whether the guy who ...

Tips for attracting more comments …

After a long silence I am blogging regularly for almost past 2 months now. Btw, I use “ eXtreme Tracking ” to track the traffic into my blog. When I check the summary of those results I am really happy to know that in the past 231 days I have got 6711 unique visitors . Out of which last month I have attracted 1362 unique visitors and this month (as of today 7 PM) there are 1733 unique visitors. I think this to be a good count. I want to reiterate that out of 231 days I have seriously blogged for couple of months only. Ok with that information, I want to talk about the problem in hand. Only recently I started thinking “dude, you are getting decent amount of readers on a daily basis. But then you aren’t getting much feedback from them. What’s the problem?” Just because I am not getting decent amount of feedbacks does it mean my blog isn’t informative? I really don’t know but I know that, normally people are reluctant to post their views as comments on site for various reasons. In my vie...