Skip to main content

TechEd 2006 has started here in Chennai ...

Microsoft TechEd 2006 have started here in Chennai, India. Today, I attended couple of sessions in Architect track and couple of sessions on Data (SQL) track.

The Architect sessions which I attended were cool and the best session for me today is "CLR integration with SQL Server 2005". I guess the organizers didn't expect much crowd for this session. You know what? the room was jam packed and there were atleast 50 to 60 guys watching the session by standing in the corner of the room. I was one among them :) This session was conducted by Nauzad (MVP) and the way he drived the session was really interesting.

The take away gift for the day (hope they would give me something tomorrow also :) ) was a beautiful looking Umbrella. Its really cool.

Today's Disappointment

I was disappointed when I couldn't find Abhishek (MVP Lead) today. Its quite sometime since I met him in-person, thought would catch up with him today :(

Also this is the first time Anand (Manager of CNUG) was also missing in a TechEd event. If my memory is right, he used to be around either taking sessions or answering questions in the expert zone in the past.

Why would one be interested in .NET Framework 3.0 now?

I was wondering why on earth a person should attend sessions on technologies or tools which are targetted for .NET Framework 3.0!! (Though I attended couple of sessions myself :) )

To my knowledge, those technologies are still in very early stages of beta and they are surely bound to change. More over just ~6 months back products relating to .NET Framework 2.0 have been released and shouldn't people concentrate and understand products released for this framework?

Don't you think we should learn something which we could try out in our projects now (for the money we have spent for TechEd). Rather than spending time on future products which you can't try out anywhere in your projects now. I am not saying we should not know about the future or road ahead of Microsoft. Those are good to know but not the need of the day! Moreover, those things we might need to understand / research ourself with the help of search engines, Microsoft.com etc., I am sure Abhishek is going to kill me for talking like this :)

Technorati tags:

Comments

Anonymous said…
For one, .NET 3.0 is the new name for WinFX. WinFX has been in BETA for almost 1.5 years now, so you can hardly call it "still in beta". It is due to release by the end of this year or early next year.

For organizations it is vital to know these changes, for developers it is vital to start playing with the BETA bits now, so that they are ready when it is out.

What you are working on now was introduced in 2004-2005. That's the pace of technology man! Keep up or be left out :)
Anonymous said…
Vadi, If you had been follpowing my blog, you would have known that I am not in the country for the past 2 months..:)

Sorry could not fly down to Chennai just for TechED, though I would have enjoyed being there..:)
Vadivel said…
Yes Anand I remember it now :) It was looking very different for me to see a CNUG stall without you :)

Pandu, I know WinFX would introduce us to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) and Windows CardSpace. I know .NET Framework 3.0 is nothing but WinFX.

But my point is, what could developers do on looking into LINQ, DLINQ sessions which are meant for .NET 3.0 now! I am sure what ever syntax they would be showing in the sessions would surely change in the final version. So the only thing they need to take home after the session is the "Concept" and not the "syntax". If that is the case, concepts can be read on the web. Am i missing something.
Anonymous said…
I was spell bound with Sanjay's LINQ session following with Nauzad's DLINQ session. Although conceptually it looks great but it's not going to be usefull to enterprise applications (You know what I mean). It doesn't look enterprisey :)

I am with you Vadivel on this, although the SDK for LINQ, DLINQ, etc is available but I would not like to get my hands dirty as there is many areas that needs to be explored in .Net 2.0 yet.
The pace in which the products are released are quite fast but the demand is high too and hence the version updates are imminent and mandatory.

Popular posts from this blog

Registry manipulation from SQL

Registry Manupulation from SQL Server is pretty easy. There are 4 extended stored procedure in SQL Server 2000 for the purpose of manupulating the server registry. They are: 1) xp_regwrite 2) xp_regread 3) xp_regdeletekey 4) xp_regdeletevalue Let us see each one of them in detail! About xp_regwrite This extended stored procedure helps us to create data item in the (server’s) registry and we could also create a new key. Usage: We must specify the root key with the @rootkey parameter and an individual key with the @key parameter. Please note that if the key doesn’t exist (without any warnnig) it would be created in the registry. The @value_name parameter designates the data item and the @type the type of the data item. Valid data item types include REG_SZ and REG_DWORD . The last parameter is the @value parameter, which assigns a value to the data item. Let us now see an example which would add a new key called " TestKey ", and a new data item under it called TestKeyValue :

Screen scraping using XmlHttp and Vbscript ...

I wrote a small program for screen scraping any sites using XmlHttp object and VBScript. I know I haven't done any rocket science :) still I thought of sharing the code with you all. XmlHttp -- E x tensible M arkup L anguage H ypertext T ransfer P rotocol An advantage is that - the XmlHttp object queries the server and retrieve the latest information without reloading the page. Source code: < html > < head > < script language ="vbscript"> Dim objXmlHttp Set objXmlHttp = CreateObject("Msxml2.XMLHttp") Function ScreenScrapping() URL == "UR site URL comes here" objXmlHttp.Open "POST", url, False objXmlHttp.onreadystatechange = getref("HandleStateChange") objXmlHttp.Send End Function Function HandleStateChange() If (ObjXmlHttp.readyState = 4) Then msgbox "Screenscrapping completed .." divShowContent.innerHtml = objXmlHttp.responseText End If End Function </ script > < head > < body > &l

Script table as - ALTER TO is greyed out - SQL SERVER

One of my office colleague recently asked me why we are not able to generate ALTER Table script from SSMS. If we right click on the table and choose "Script Table As"  ALTER To option would be disabled or Greyed out. Is it a bug? No it isn't a bug. ALTER To is there to be used for generating modified script of Stored Procedure, Functions, Views, Triggers etc., and NOT for Tables. For generating ALTER Table script there is an work around. Right click on the table, choose "Modify" and enter into the design mode. Make what ever changes you want to make and WITHOUT saving it right click anywhere on the top half of the window (above Column properties) and choose "Generate Change Script". Please be advised that SQL Server would drop actually create a new table with modifications, move the data from the old table into it and then drop the old table. Sounds simple but assume you have a very large table for which you want to do this! Then it woul